Friday, July 23, 2010

Katie Says: When it comes to wildlife, let it be!

In most cases, we are told that it is our duty as a part of society to act when we see something wrong. If we see a robbery in progress, we call the police to come and intervene. If we see someone in danger, those that step in are heralded as heroes. But when it comes to wildlife, our first instinct to intervene may not always be the best. Such was the case yesterday when I witnessed a bald-faced hornet kill and devour a red-spotted purple butterfly.

I noticed the butterfly flopping on the ground, and instinctively picked it up to see what was wrong and to put the butterfly on a nearby leaf. It was then that I noticed the bald-faced hornet latched on to its victim, using its jaws and stinger to try to subdue the red-spotted purple. Not wanting to be stung by a rather worked up hornet, I dropped the pair onto the ground. Part of me wanted to intervene; pry the hornet off of the butterfly to save the beautiful insect, but then I realized that the hornet needed to eat too and that I should instead appreciate the incredible opportunity to watch a hornet eat what literally lay before me.

In a gruesome act that seemed to come right out of a mobster movie, the hornet first removed the butterfly’s proboscis (tongue). Next came the head, which ended the butterfly’s suffering. I had predicted that the butterfly’s wings would naturally come next, but instead, the hornet removed the four hind legs of the butterfly, noisily chewing all the while. Finally, the hornet removed the thorax (the middle of the body) from the abdomen and the wings and flew off noisily with its bounty clutched between its legs.

Yes, it may have been a bit unnerving to watch a butterfly being eaten alive by a fierce predator, but what an opportunity, too! To witness the strength and deliberate actions of the hornet was something I will never forget. I may have felt badly for the butterfly who lost its life, but at the same time, I am glad that I did not intervene so that I could share in the hornet’s victory. Have a question or a story of your own to share? Post a comment below; it’s free and you don’t have to create an account!

No comments:

Briar Bush Nature Center's Fan Box